Written by FUNN LIM

For the navigation menu, please look to the left side of your screen in one of the panels. The main page that you will see when you enter this blog is always the latest post. For previous or older posts, see the navigation menu.

To comment, pls click "__comments" or "Post A Comment" located below the title of the present page


SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

28 June, 2008

EPISODES 5 - 8


Where was I the last time? Oh yes, WXB was asked by the boy emperor to go with the old minister to supervise the foreclosure/confiscation of Aobai's property. And so he went, the old minister whose name I have yet to learn (but in all 3 versions he's the one who is the first ally in the palace with WXB) even suggested that he take some of the gold and jewels for himself since the emperor wouldn't mind. And in front of WXB he found out Aobai's property is a few times more than he anticipated and so he suggested a change of numbers on the book and share 50-50 the unreported takings between themselves and the palace servants and other guards, so to keep everyone happy. WXB being the greedy kid that he was didn't think twice about accepting although he did worry it was a bit too much. But the old minister assured him not to worry, the Emperor wouldn't mind. In fact the old minister went as far as to asked WXB to be his sworn brother! WXB of course being the one who follows the wind had to say yes. One funny scene here was the old man reciting the sworn words of being sworn brother, you know "Although we are not born on the same day, same month and the same year, we shall both die on the same day, same month and the same year as sworn brothers and to this I shall swear on my own life to forever be the faithful and loyal sworn brother of Kwei Xiao Bao (WXB told him his name was Kwei instead of Wei, in fact the emperor didn't even know his real name). WXB was of course cheekily thinking "He is so old! Certainly it would in his advantage if we were to die on the same day, month and year since he surely can't live any longer! But I shall have my way out of this.." and I think he recited he will die on the same day, same month and same DAY as the old guy, omitting the word year so he thought "If he were to die in March whatever year, I shall die in March too, but could be 100 years later!". This boy is super cheeky. Anyway he got himself from Aobai's treasure two items that would greatly assist him in future, a protective singlet that no weapon can cut through and a golden dagger than can cut through anything, even the highest graded steel.

And so they went back to the boy emperor and WXB lied about how much Aobai had taken but even that smaller sum (by half) shocked the boy emperor and he was very very angry. And he found the 2 books of 42 scriptures which he gave to the Emperor who gave to his mom. His mom was very pleased. So pleased he was awarded deserts that only the Empress Dowager may eat. Alone with the Empress Dowager's maid, WXB flirted with the maid, and even offered her the desert. And he made her promise to meet him at night so that they both can enjoy the desert together. Yes, the ladies' man even at that age.

WXB went back to coughing eunuch who again prepared dinner and soup for him to drink. Whilst he was drinking and eating, he kept telling himself he shall be leaving this place at night. Meanwhile the coughing eunuch seemed to be up to something as he had a flashback; he was the dead emperor's personal eunuch, most trusted apart from the head monk of a temple. The Emperor pretended to die. To the world he was dead but in actual fact he became a monk after his favourite concubine died mysteriously. But he gave Hai Ta Fu an order; to investigate who killed not just the concubine but I think an empress and one other high ranking concubine. But Hai Ta Fu felt he had failed his master.

At night whilst coughing eunuch, Hai Ta Fu was his name was sleeping, WXB tried to sneak out to see the maid but was stopped by the coughing eunuch who thought he was running away and wondered where his loyalties lie since he knew he gave the 2 books to the emperor. In the midst of their conversation, kinda violent because poor boy was stepped on and punched and all, the coughing eunuch angrily said he knew WXB was the one who blinded him. So WXB angrily said "So you knew I was the one? So you knew I am not the real Xiao Kwei Tzi and you used me didn't you?" and coughing eunuch confessed he did and he planned to kill him. And he said he had fed WXB with poison all these time through the soup and he planned to feed him for 3 months and later he would be poisoned to death in a slow and agonising painful death. WXB of course wouldn't admit it and he said "His Majesty and I knew you were up to no good, which was why I drank only half and threw the other half out! I have outwitted you, you fool!" and then he tried to kill the coughing eunuch with that dagger which sliced his hands but the eunuch one punch threw WXB out of the room. Poor kid! But once outside, he hid and the eunuch who can't see anything assumed either he was dead or ran away. I think more like dead. So he walked away. WXB felt it was time to leave the palace but he remembered the maid and knew he had to bid her farewell first in case she was waiting for him. So he ran to the Empress Dowager's residence and saw the maid. Whilst he was talking with her, the eunuch appeared but he didn't know WXB was there as he quietly hid behind the bushes. The eunuch took the maid by the neck and made her announce his arrival to the empress dowager and then he promptly knocked her out. The Empress Dowager was pissed someone would disturb her at such a later hour and WXB thought he was there to complain about him and all but the eunuch menacingly said "Your highness (I am not sure how to translate her title so I will use your highness), a man from the temple has asked me to convey a message to you, a man you would surely wish to hear from" and she sounded stunned when she said "It is him isn't him?" and after some more talk she walked out and faced the eunuch and said "What has he to say?" and the eunuch confessed his role in the investigation and the Empress Dowager angrily said "So he is still alive? I have suspected as much. He has abandoned his kingdom, his throne, his wife and his child to be a monk just because his beloved concubine died" as she said with scorn and the eunuch said "The deaths are too suspiscious your highness" and she wondered what has that got to do with her and he said "In the course of investigation I have discovered 2 things" and frankly I can't remember the exact words but I think the 1st was the suspiscious nature of the death of the concubines and also second "I believe there lives a kung fu expert in this palace who is secretly teaching kung fu to the emperor and this I know because my personal servant, Xiao Kwei Tzi has been sparring with the emperor and though their ages were not much different than a year or two, the emperor's skills seemed higher and so he must have a great master who is teaching him" and the empress dowager denied she was that master and the eunuch suddenly and gloomily said "Your highness, I am old, blind and I am dying. I was blinded by this bastard child, Xiao Kwei Tzi and I have not much longer to live" and the empress dowager laughed "Good for Xiao Kwei Tzi but don't you worry I shall take care of this matter in the morning" and he said "There is no such need" and she said "He is dead?" and I think he nodded and then he said "I shall take my leave your highness. I have failed his majesty and I shall retire" and as he left the Empress Dowager attacked him since she asked him what then he planned to do and he said "I plan only to inform his majesty (the boy emperor) of my findings and let him decide". WXB heard all that and knew the old emperor is still alive. And so they fought and both discovered although they taught the boys kung fu of a certain sect, they were actually disguising themselves and they were from other sects. But both were equal and very hurt and WXB took this opportunity to attack the eunuch but he was punched by the eunuch but the empress dowager took this opportunity to kill the eunuch. And the eunuch fell to the ground, dead.

Pause here. I am not sure whether Hai Ta Fu died or not. In previous versions he became insane and quite endearing to WXB who still hates him but had to bear with him and I think he died saving WXB's life but that could be the Dicky Cheung version which may have deviated from the text. Anyway he seems dead, although we never really see him buried. But I suppose he is dead and is deader than dead and so yes, he is dead.

The guards heard the commotion and ran there and so the empress dowager ordered WXb to carry her into the room, onto the bed and keep quiet. The Empress Dowager responded to the queries and the conclusion was some eunuchs having some sparring dead at night with Hai Ta Fu dead. On the bed, the empress dowager asked why WXB blinded the eunuch and he kinda told the truth how the eunuch was trying to kill him. And she asked did he hear the conversation and he wisely denied hearing anything and the empress dowager was pleased and told him to leave. He left with a heavy relief, thinking she might kill him but she didn't. Back at the Hai Ta Fu quarters, quite uncharacteristically WXB had a sudden attack of fear that the eunuch's ghost will come back to haunt him and he became very scared. I didn't like this scene since this is so unlike him.

Next day he received news that he was promoted to be the I think the head of the eunuchs but don't quote me here. But he was someone powerful that everybody now suck up to him. He brought food to the emperor and once alone they became casual again and the emperor congratulated him for saving the empress dowager's life and having earned so much merits in such a short time. WXB now felt safe and happy and decided to stay a few more years to earn some more money before going back to his mother. Alone with the emperor, he was offered to share the food with him but WXB understanding his lowly status said no but this angered the boy emperor who emphasised "What is this? In here when we are alone I am Xiao Xuan Tzi and don't you dare play ranks with me!" and WXB became Xiao Kwei Tzi again and happily ate with the emperor and played fighting with the emperor. The boy emperor sighed and confessed his duties have become more and more heavy each day and all WXB could do was to lie next to him and listen. The next day he brought food in again, smiling happily.

And the next scene it was an adult WXB bringing in food for the adult emperor.

Pause here. Let me express my feelings here at seeing HXM, finally...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHYYYYYYYY?!??!?!??! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!!?! I want the boys back! I don't want HXM! Who is Wallace Chung? I don't want! I don't want! I don't want! I want to push the stop button. I want the boys, why must they grow up so soon?!??!?! Why???????

What to do? Which means 35 episodes of adults WXB and emperor. Ewwwwwww...

I can't believe Ep 5, middle of it and the two boys were gone!

Anyway he brought the food in.

Pause here.

Hmmmm HXM so thin. Hmmmm some more; like I predicted like that kid's acting.

He walked in and there was the emperor, now a young man happily greeted WXB.

Pause here.

Handsome maybe but a bit too dark skin. They should have found someone fairer since the boy emperor was so fair. And his acting.... a bit wooden at first and then shifted gear to a strange new level of whatever that I can't name as I shall describe below.

They winked, looked at each other's eye and then went fighting hand to hand but when the emperor charged at WXB, WXB pretended to fall and got hurt and conceded defeat. Now the strange part.

The emperor was very upset and he accused of WXB no longer the Xiao Kwei Tzi he once knew and he was fed up and he shouted "If this is what you want, then so be it! You shall be the servant before me!" and he charged at WXB and kinda beat him into a pulp. WXB thought to himself (a lot of narration in these few episodes) "Xiao Xuan Tzi, what is it you don't understand... that I do. I am the lowly servant and I shall forever be the lowly servant. You were once Xiao Xuan Tzi but now, look at you know, you are now the emperor that I serve, how can I now treat you like Xiao Xuan Tzi even if I am Xiao Kwei Tzi in your eyes?" and then the emperor stopped. WXB bled from his mouth and he fell to the floor. The emperor even more frustrated went punching everywhere when suddenly WXB stood up and said "Fine. If this is what you want..." and he charged at the emperor and they both fought and he even straddled the emperor and spanked him.

Pause here. Now before you go thinking GAY let me say this; they should marry one another. And let me say this also; it was playful like how two boys would. And it shows how close their relationship was that the emperor didn't mind even with his status allowed WXB to straddle him like a master on his horse.

Anyway the emperor even kicked WXB on the groin area and WXB complained "How could you Xiao Xuan Tzi kick me there?" and the emperor feeling strange said "Ermmm well not that you have anything there" and WXB suddenly remembered he was supposed to be an eunuch and so he stood up and went on fighting the emperor until they fell to the floor, exhausted. Everything was ok after that. Anyway they stopped and the emperor confessed his worries to WXB who as usual listened. "I heard he is screaming day and night, making a whole lot of noise. Something must be done" and WXB knew he was talking about Aobai. WXB said "Just tell me what you wish for me to do Xiao Xuan Tzi? I shall do it" and the emperor asked him to pay a visit to Aobai. WXB knew what he meant; he wanted WXB to shut Aobai up forever and WXB gladly went.

Pause here. I find this scene just too odd, too sudden and frankly too emotionally hyped up. It was like so dramatic, with the emperor beating him to a pulp and all that, bleeding and all. This should be later, now so early on. And HXM was just plain weird in here. I shall explain more later.

Aobai was under house arrest, under whole load of chains and WXB ordered the guards out and faced the very angry Aobai. WXB went and taunted him. Outside a bunch of people suddenly appear looking for Aobai, intending to kill Aobai. They went in and saw WXB in there who was too late to realise he was standing too close to Aobai by the door that he was dragged in. They all saw how WXb used his dagger and just stabbed Aobai on the head then once on the stomach and so Aobai died. The guys were stunned and said "He killed Aobai! He killed Aobai!" and they took Aobai's body AND kidnapped WXB who was terrified thinking they were Aobai's faithful followers. The guards couldn't stop them and so WXB was stuffed into a container and whisked away.

The emperor heard what happened and was very angry and ordered for the safe return of WXB and also to find the followers of Aobai.

WXB was taken to some house or inn or whatever and once inside he saw how the many men were paying respect to someone and the man was saying they were from the Heaven and Earth Sect (herein HES) and that they were glad he killed Aobai which they wanted to anyway. WXB was much relieved. Then they asked him "Why do you want to kill Aobai my young friend?" and so he lied. He said he was kidnapped by Aobai, forced to become a eunuch at a young age. Aobai killed his mom, dad, uncle, auntie, first aunt, second aunt.. you get the picture. They sympathised with him and asked "How old are you?" and WXB said "17" and then they realised "But Aobai was not at your hometown back then..." and someone else said "Maybe he meant his father was killed elsewhere" and WXB said "Yes yes yes". They were impressed with his skill and so was WXb impressed to be amongst heroes when they said "Well then we did swear that anyone who kills Aobai will be the deputy (I think deputy) of HES" but they wondered, this stranger? and then they asked "You seem to know us my young friend" and he said "Who wouldn't know heroes?" and I can't remember how his name was brought up but he mentioned Mao 18. They brought Mao 18 in and WXB had a tearful reunion with Mao 18 who was a member of HES.

Alone, Mao 18 said "When I was defeated by that eunuch, I swore I would come back to rescue you but I have been plagued by bad health since then. I worried about you my young friend, constantly wondering what has happened to you and blamed myself if anything bad were to happened to you" and WXB said "I am fine, I am fine now" and Mao 18 tearfully said "Now that we are back together again, we shall not be parted" and WXB said "You just rest, when you're better, you can teach me kung fu" and Mao 18 sadly said "I am no longer how I used to be..." and Mao 18 saw WXB turned his head away and wiped away his tears.

The guys took WXB to see a man; the leader and WXB was surprised to see the condition of the place they were living at "These men are heroes and yet this is where they live? Like a peasant?". Well, heroes don't earn much I suppose. Beggars Association earn much more!

Anyway WXB was introduced to a man who looked so distinguished whilst chopping wood, WXB knew this man was a true leader. He introduced himself as Chen Jingnan (Chan Kan Nam by the way) and WXB was in awe of him. Was even more in awe when Chen Jingnan agreed to take him as his student to teach him kung fu. But he overheard them said "This boy is close to the emperor, we can use this to our advantage" and WXB thought to himself "Soooo they want to use me against Xiao Xuan Tzi, should I agree to join them?". Not like he had a choice. So he was made the deputy which he didn't want to because Chen Jingnan warned him that he must do not evil eventhough his mouth speaks evil, if not he would personally eject him out of the sect and perhaps kill him. WXB didn't like that and became less in awe of this man.

But before he were to leave, Chen Jingnan had a heart to heart talk with WXB. I have this impression Chen Jingnan didn't trust WXb whom he feels was a shady character since he didn't know his background. Although he is a Han, he serves the emperor and his mouth spurts too many lies and stories that he didn't know when to trust him unlike the other members. I have this impression also that the other members of the sect were a little bit too trusting, too honourable in a sense but Chen saw through WXB. So he said to WXB "I did not want to take you in as my student. But I owe a duty to the people and the country that I shall take you towards the path of good so that you will have some use for goodness" and WXB was kinda pissed at that talk but shut up. But Chen promised him he will teach him kung fu one of these days and helped WXB to convince the emperor he was indeed imprisoned for a few days by followers of Aobai.

So WXB went back to the emperor looking like a mess and the emperor immediately hugged him tightly, glad that his friend was back. And WXB led them to that place he was kept and they were all convinced WXB was captured by followers of Aobai.

Later WXB left the palace as and when he wishes and he met with Chen Jingnan. Chen regretfully said he can't teach him kung fu since he had things to do and he only had one day and WXB thought "Well, expected that already" and suddenly Chen gave him 2 books of kung fu and WXB was quite touched at the gesture. Chen even tried to teach him compassion, heroism and humanity, some of which WXB lacked because he was ruthless since a kid and WXB appreciated the lesson because it was like a father teaching his son. A father WXB never had. Then WXB confessed he was poisoned by Hai Ta Fu and Chen helped him to take out the poison. In delirium, he called out "FATHER!" and hugged Chen tearfully only to realise what he had done and he quickly ran out of the room. Chen was quite touched by his gesture and laughed and felt he could trust this kid who is to him innately good. Chen went away again but reminded WXB to learn the kung fu and to learn the value of humanity and compassion and not to do evil. But WXB thought "Well I would be in the palace... he wouldn't know" and he said "Don't worry Master! I will not do anything to smear your good name, I promise. If ever I shall smear my own good name!" and Chen was not happy and said "Xiao Bao, you should never smear your own good name, you're not less than any of us, remember that" and WXB was moved by his master's genuine sincere care towards him and belief in him and so he said "Well I shall then if ever smear the good name of Xiao Kwei Tzi and in turn smear the good name of the Qing Dynasty!" and they had a good laugh.

Pause here. If there is one element I like here, it's the idea of dignity. WXB has no dignity which is why he is a tramp, a scoundrel. The way he kills is not honourable and he feels nothing wrong with crawling to someone and ambushing them. And yet he respects the HES, the heroes in his eyes and I feel he always feels lowly since he is a son of a prostitute. But the Emperor showed to him status did not matter and Chen Jingnan showed to him further than a man now matter what has dignity and to achieve that he must first respect himself. Which is why the conversation about smearing own name and all was significant and I must admit, nicely done.

In the palace, WXB went to see the emperor who was studying. He quietly gestured to the emperor to meet him outside and as the old teacher went on and on and on the emperor quietly left and like old times they played and ran everywhere, climbing to the rooftop with the magnificent view of the palace in front of them and WXB huffing and puffing said "Well Xiao Xuan Tzi, you have indeed improved! You were faster than me!" and the emperor frowned and said "You are sure you didn't let me win?" and WXB laughed and said no. They chatted and the emperor expressed his concern that "Eventhough I am the emperor, no one listens to me" and WXB laughed and said "You're the emperor, your words ate commands to your subjects, how could they not obey you? After all you have the power to sentence them to death" and the emperor sighed "It is not as simple as you think. There was Aobai... then there's Wu Sangui (Ng Sam Kwai, China's most famous traitor in my opinion) and then there's Heaven and Earth sect" and WXB quietly thought "So Xiao Xuan Tzi knows about HES. I must be careful not to reveal too much to the emperor, even if he is Xiao Xuan TZi".

Another meeting with the HES and WXB found out one member was kidnapped or whatever by some Lord with with surname Mu and they were deciding what to do. Frankly didn't quite understand the conversation. Anyway WXB had to leave.

Testing food, he met with a member of the HES in the palace who was there to deliver a special package for his protection. It was a pretty girl and the guys decided it was best he kept the girl since it wouldn't do the girl's reputation any good to be kept amongst them and WXB was confused until he understood what he meant; her reputation would be intact with an eunuch but WXB laughingly thought "I am not an eunuch! Ha, who shall have the last laugh now?!".

Alone with the girl who was too scared to open her eyes and was "dim yuet" by the guy, he mocked her because he knew she was Mu Jianping, a princess and he said "Why won't you open your eyes? Is it because I am nothing but a lowly eunuch? Look at me!" and she refused and so he playfully used a scissors to threaten to disfigure her and then drew things on her face. And when she finally cried and opened her eyes, she could talk by the way, she thought she was disfigured and rather die. But he promised to heal her and concocted some weird potion (disgusting, he even spit on it!) and applied it to her face. He laid her on the bed and was taunting her when he was called on an urgent business. So he left a few biscuits on her lips and said she could eat them when she was hungry but then she can't move right?

Pause here.

This meeting with Mu Jianping was like the longest part of this story and frankly not only was I freaked out by this sadistic side of WXB, it was disgusting and poor girl, smeared with that urggghhhh stuff. And the way he taunted her was like such a long winded story. I was thinking "Ok lar, enough lar, move on lar, oi go away lar, that's it!!!!!!" and yet it went on and on and on. It was boring. Frankly I have no idea who she is. I can't remember her character as well though I am aware of her existence in the 2 versions. What's her connection? She's the daughter of the Lord who kidnapped one of the HES guys? I have vague memories she is the daughter or someone to the Lords from Taiwan? One of the 3 fractions (HES on behalf of Ming Dynasty, the Taiwan nobility and Wu Sangui) who wanted to topple the emperor and claim the throne? That they were pretty useless but they killed Chen Jingnan? Can't remember.

WXB was called out to play special guest to a special guest, that is Wu Sangui's eldest son I think who looks like a drug addict as he snorted what was that? Opium in the bottle? The guy tried to get on his good side but WXB hated him at first site, and so vice versa. WXB said "I can't accept your generous gifts my young lord, I am but a mere servant of the emperor, I don't dare to accept your kindness" and of course Wu Sangui's son was pissed but laughed it off much too eagerly. They went to hear a concert about Chan Yuenyuen's tragic life when WXB busy crying from what he heard saw the sneaky son sneaking upstairs. He followed them and saw him removing a copy of the book of 42 scriptures and hid it elsewhere. WXB followed in and took it and wondered "What is so special about this book that everyone wants?".

Pause here.

Why is everyone so careless? It couldn't have been a trap. Isn't the book so important? So why was it removed and hid again in full view. What made them think no one would follow them?

WXB returned to the palace, carrying boxes of very expensive gifts and pearls which he had promised to buy for the girl to use to beautify herself. Once in his room, he saw the girl in the exact same position with the same pieces of biscuits and frankly, he was kinda moved by her.. ermmm... immobility? What was he so moved about anyway? Anyway, he thought "This girl is cute". He brought the pearls to her and then turned back to put the boxes when he turned and saw something that made him go "HUH?!".

What was the HUH?! about? Ahhhhh .. in episode 9.

Story wise, the moment the boys were gone, the entire story went from bizarre to disgusting to plain weird. That OTT emotional scene between the emperor and WXB, that loooooooooooooong scene between Mu Jianping with the girl keeping her eyes shut was just boooooooooooring. Then there was suddenly Wu Sangui's son. Episode 8 already so many people walk in and out. The pacing seems a bit rush for certain characters and seems way too longwinded for some. And he has got 6 other women to meet so I can only imagine how looooooooongwinded the director shall be.

And did Hai Ta Fu really really died? What was that thing with the servant girl earlier on? What happened to her?

Performance wise, the two boys were excellent although I didn't get the scene where young WXB freaked out over the eunuch's murder. He never had conscience before so why now? But I so so so so so so miss them. Which brings me to the adults.

HXM is not a bad actor. I am not saying he is terrible. I am saying he is just plain weird and inconsistent. One second cunning, next second plain sadistic, next second plain confused, scared, mad, etc. A whole lot of emotions, a whole lot of interpretation of one single scene and yet not one distinguishable moment that made me go wow! Maybe not yet. He overacts sometimes, not like "OH MY GOD" overact but just that certain scenes just doesn't require such OTT moments. I blame it on the writer and director I suppose, like that scene arguing with the emperor. I hate also his voice was dubbed. Whether with his own voice or not I am not sure. If Condor Heroes was his own voice I believe this voice was dubbed and I would have preferred his real voice. I like the way he sounds in Condor Heroes better, in fact more sinister, at times more playful. The young WXB was playful, cheeky, witty and cute. HXM felt tired, looked tired. I felt he was livelier and more cheeky in Condor Heroes than in here eventhough WXB is a character more playful, more cheeky and bloody flirtatious. So far I see none of those although his chemistry with Wallace Chung was evident. I am glad that still exists but overall he seems to be sleepwalking. Then there were the confusing scenes like one second he doubted HES, next he was into HES and yet he seems to still doubt Chen Jingnan.

Compare to Jordan Chan, I am sorry to say Jordan Chan was more consistent. I could see however a scoundrel Jordan Chan was as WXB, he felt a genuine respect and admiration for HES and he really wanted to be a hero like them although he feels no allegiance to the Ming Dynasty. He sincerely respected Chan Kan Nam and yet he knew he can't betray the emperor to whom he clearly respected and loved as a friend. The dynamics of these 3 way relationship was clearer in the 1998 version and someways even in Dicky Cheung's version but in this version it is muted, perhaps some careless callous editing must have ruined the moment which makes HXM seems unsure about his WXB as opposed to the young WXB who is clear who he is loyal to.

This in part is because of the weird interpretation of Chen Jingnan. The actor looked honourable, sounded honourable and I felt displayed a whole aura of heroism, machoism and great leadership. You could sense a fatherly affection with WXB but some spoilt by the constant doubt on his part of WXB's character. And even then the moments of doubt were like short term amnesia. One moment there, one moment it is gone. So that makes his Chen Jingnan like a suspiscious fool instead of genuinely concerned about WXB's character and yet believed in his ability to be a good person. The actor was right, the characterisation did not justice to the heroic Chen Jingnan. I have an impression Chen Jingnan is a man of his words, a hero which is why WXB greatly admired that man. In here, not so much could be seen. But the actor looked the part.

Wallace Chung is not so good looking and in more ways than one is a direct opposite of HXM in terms of acting. HXM is capable of so much emotions, he could show so much that sometimes he seems uncontrollable and just spoils certain scene with his constant and immediate shift between one emotion to the next, making him less sincere than he appears to be. Like one moment sad, suddenly cheeky, then sad then cheeky then sad in a matter of 30 seconds. How can you believe his genuine sadness if so much changes in such a short time? Wallace Chung is at best wooden. But the emperor is more controlled in his emotions but like how the young boy who played the emperor, Shi Lei was his name, don't mistake controlled emotions with being wooden. He feels a lot as that boy in that still my most favourite scene showed. He could burst but he controlled himself. Wallace Chung did not give a controlled performance, his performance was simply wooden. He comes slightly out of his slumber when he is with HXM but then when he is alone, wooden again. The emperor is my favourite character but he didn't display enough of worries as the emperor. After all he was 17, under attack no less than 4 sectors? Remember I think Russia also right? So whenever the emperor sighed with worries, WXB as his best friend felt compelled to ease his worries which is why whilst WXB may be ordered to do something, and he reluctantly did it, in the end he did it first to safeguard his head, secondly and more importantly for the emperor. So the emperor had to really look worried enough to worry WXB and this emperor was well... wooden. Maybe he will improve later on, and I look forward to that. But so far, the boy Shi Lei remains my firm favourite.

I would go further to suggest that perhaps HXM should be the emperor and someone else be WXB because I want to see HXM as someone steady, serious and don't have the emotional fluctuation like someone high on drugs and want more drugs.

The girl. Liu Yun I think. Don't know her and hate her voice. Dubbed I am sure, those high shriek pitch sound that is both irritating and painful to hear. Not so pretty, quite cute and since WXB is 17, she must be 14? 15? So far only the empress dowager looked the part and she was pretty and sound is good but this one... no opinion.

Could you believe it? 6 more wives?

The actor who played Hai Ta Fu, Hua Zi according to the cast list was excellent. He is by far the best Hai Ta Fu in the 3 versions I have seen and he was menacing, creepy and plain weird all at the same time. Voice dubbing was great too.

So why must the women all sound like high pitch?

And why isn't Crystal Liu in here? She is young, she is pretty and can better. And she looks more innocent than the 7 women in the pictures I have seen. In fact sorry to say none of them looked distinguished enough and quite frankly looks too modern for my taste.

Anyway I am still saddened by the fact the kids were no more. Not fair at all. Can we have a children version of DOMD? Please? These kids can act the socks off the adults, any of them any time.

Cinematography wise, excellent. The colour mood enhances the atmosphere of certain scenes and that scene where the 2 guys stood on top of the roof facing the palace was simply breathtaking. Can still see spotlight and wind and here done to great effect and not like everywhere. Costumes are good too except why does the empress dowager have the oversized hat? Seems to big for her head.

So far so good except for some weird OTT scene. Bad editing or writing perhaps. I wonder, what was the HUH?! about? Have to watch Ep 9 to know it.

So far how's your DOMD aka Royal Tramp experience? I know 8TV in Malaysia is showing it and perhaps you're watching online too. Do share but please no spoilers about future episodes. But if this is like the 2 versions, I already know lar.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not 100% sure of this. But during the casting process, there was news that the producer has wanted Liu Yi Fei to play one of the wives, but LYF (or her agent) rejected the offer. Honestly, if you are LYF, and you have so many offers coming your way, with acting offers from Hollywood and releasing Japanese album, will you still choose to play one of the 6 wives of WXB?

As for the Emperor Kangxi. Wallace was actually not the first choice for the role. The director's first choice was Ren Quan (an actor I also like and during casting time, I actually prefer him over Wallace and was delighted that he was casted) precisely because Ren Quan has an aristocratic look,Ren Quan (任泉) was also very excited to take the role. But unfortunately, the series he signed up to first was delayed and clash into the filming date of DOMD. Because he felt that he could do the role justice if he were to film 2 series at a time, he decided to drop out of the DOMD.

I don't think the adult Kangxi must be fair skinned. This Emperor lead an army when he was 19. So, he should have a lot of practice in martial art, horsing riding and stuff under the sun. Fair skinned during kid's time doesn't necessarily means the adult must be equally fair skinned. Also, I think the kids were chose after the adults actors were cast. So, if u talk about casting, the director should cast a kid actor that resembles Wallace skin tone more instead of the other way around. :P

Anonymous said...

Ren Quan & Fan Bing Bing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NoW_Ml8S6R0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=W0wd53_M4RM

Funn Lim said...

I have no idea who is Ren Quan. Name sounds rather ermm distinguished. And he sounds professional too, like a consumate actor. Will check out the clip.

I am not saying Wallace is bad, just a bit wooden right now.

Funn Lim said...

Kidd just checked out those Renquan clips and pics! You're right, he is more suited for the kangxi role. In fact he looks kinda like that kid, a bit fairer, eyes wider and he looks more kingly. Why? Why did he have to say no? He doesn't care? What a pity!

By the way in this series the king hardly leaves the palace so he shouldn't be so dark.

And I read, to my utter horror HXM may be the next Monkey King. I hope that is just a rumour. he should be the monk.

Anonymous said...

The producer, Zhang Ji Zhong, has a tendency to use back old cast in all his productions.

He casted Li Ya Peng as both Linghu Chong and Guo Jing.
He initially plan to cast Zhou Xun (who played Huang Rong) as Xiao Long Nv, but JY prefers LYF.
He also plan to cast Huang Xiao Ming as Zhang Wu Ji.

Funn Lim said...

I suppose HXM is his favourite actor?

Zhou Xun would be wrong for Xiao Long Nu. Is she the one in perhaps love? That woman looks fierce and I don't find her pretty.

Frankly all the wives in Royal Tramp is not very pretty to me especially the one playing Ah Ke. I find them all trying too hard to be a sex symbol in the promo pics, nothing classy, elegant at all.

Anonymous said...

I find the Shuang-er and Princess Jian Ning cute. The dragon lady is also ok. But, Mu Jian Ping, Fang Yi and Ah Ke are disappointing. No comment of Zheng Rou because I haven't seen enough or her.

I like Cherrie Ying, but she's just not beautiful enough to play the character. If the other wives are all plain or ugly, then she would be suitable. But, in this series, comparatively, she's no more beautiful than Shuang-er or Jian Ning. So, how can she be Ah Ke, the most beautiful wife of WXB? She's suppose to resemble Chen Yuan Yuan, the most beautiful lady in the country.

I like what the casting person did in DOMD98. Neol Leung (Ah Ke in DOMD98) is not drop-dead gorgeous, but comparatively, she really is the prettiest among the wives. Neol herself also looks very pretty and sweet in ancient costume.

Funn Lim said...

I agree on the noel part. But don't you think Athena Chu was pretty? She was in the dicky Cheung version right? Can't remember but I think she was. So she was the prettiest but Noel was the most ladylike.

Anonymous said...

I didn't want the Dicky version.But, I know that Athena is Ah Ke in that version. Yes, she's the prettiest Ah Ke, but I think Theresa Mak and Monica Chan are also very close behind in terms of beauty. :)

But, what I want to point out is the casting brilliance of the DOMD98 casting person. Noel was not a drop dead gorgeous girl although she's sweet and pretty.There were other actresses more beautiful than Noel in TVB at the time. But the casting person made sure that the other actresses casted for other wives were not more beautiful than Noel (at least, that's what it seems to be based on the cast). Dicky version also did the same. Cast the most beautiful as Ah Ke. But the china version failed to do this.If they want to cast Cherrie Ying as Ah Ke, at least don't find actresses more beautiful than her to play other wives.