Written by FUNN LIM

For the navigation menu, please look to the left side of your screen in one of the panels. The main page that you will see when you enter this blog is always the latest post. For previous or older posts, see the navigation menu.

To comment, pls click "__comments" or "Post A Comment" located below the title of the present page


SPOILERS ... SPOILERS ... SPOILERS

23 June, 2008

INTRODUCTION



WARNING
Please assume all pages even this one has major spoilers.

AMENDMENTS AND APOLOGIES
Why on earth do I keep writing Red Flowers Association (RFA) when I am supposed to write Tin Dei Wui as in Heaven And Earth Sect? I made this mistake throughout this intro and Ep 1-4 summary. My apologies. I had to check back my DOMD 2000 review to realise I got it wrong. Please ignore RFA and just replace it with HES since I am too lazy to correct these two posts. And please tell me I got it right!

AKA
Duke Of Mount Deer 2008

Based On
Probably one of the most adapted book ever, other than Legend Of The Condor Heroes, of the same name by who else but Jin Yong

Released In
2008

Language
Mandarin, dubbed but some probably by the actors themselves

No. of Episodes
A staggering 50 episodes. Why? Why so long winded?

Cast-Character
The Hero
Huang Xiao Ming as Wei Xiao Bao
Wang Cheng Yang as young Wei Xiao Bao

The Emperor
Wallace Chung as Kang Xi
Shi Lei as young Kang Xi

The 7 Wives
He Zhuo Yan as Shuang Er
Shu Chang as Princess Jian Ning
Liu Zi as Fang Yi
Liu Yun as Mu Jian Ping
Cherrie Ying as A Ke
Hu Ke as Su Quan
Li Fei as Zeng Rou

Others
Qiao Zhen Yu as Zheng Ke Shuang
TAE as Liu Yi Zhou
Jing Gang Shan as Feng Ji Zhong
He Jia Yi as Jiu Nan
Tan Fei Ling as Suo E Tu
Tsui Kam Kong as Ao Bai
Zhu Yan Ping as Chen Jin Nan
Hua Zi as Head Eunuch Hai (Hai Da Fu)
Gao Yuan as Empress Dowager and Mao Dong Zhu (Fake Empress Dowager)
Ning Jing as Chen Yuan Yuan
Ma Ling as Wei Chun Hua (Wei Xiao Bao's mother)
Li Cheng Ru as Xing Chi / Former Emperor Shun Zhi
Zhong Liang as Wu Ying Xiong
Tu Men as Wu San Gui
Yu Cheng Hui as Feng Xi Fan
Liu Xiao Hu as Zhang Kang Nian
Rocky Hou as Yang Yi Zhi
Wang Xiao Ming as Mu Jian Sheng
Li Ling as A Qi
Hu Dong as Duo Long
Xiao Xiang Yu as Gui Er Niang
Li Ze Feng as Gui Zhong
Shen Bao Ping (???) as Gui Xin Shu
Zhao Xiao Rui as Mao Shi Ba
Xue Zhong Rui as Kang Qin Wang
Yang Nian Sheng as Xu Tian Chuan
Liu Nai Yi as Priest Xuan Zhen
Li Ming as Qian Lao Ben
Yan Guan Ying as Pang Tou Tuo
Qin Wei Dong as Shou Tou Tuo
Wang Jian Guo as Qi Qing Biao
Sang Wei Lin as Zhao Liang Dong
Chen Zhi Hui as Li Zi Cheng
Huang Ge Xuan as Ge Er Dan
Zhang Heng Ping as Wu Gen Dao Ren
Yuan Yuan as Hong An Tong
Huang Su Ying as Li Chun Yuan Lao Bao
Duan Duan as Ao Biao
Tao Ji Xin as Liu Da Hong
Qiao Yu as Li Xi Hua
Zhou Gang as Xing Dian
Zhou Xiao Bin as Deng Bing Chun
Li Na as Liu Yan
Zhao Da as Wen You Dao
Zhao Jin Tao as Wen You Fang
Sun Li Hua as Rui Chu
Li Ai Qin as Yun Hui
Guo Xiao An as Deng Guan
Xing Han as Su Mei
Xi Xian Feng as Qing Long Shi
Wang Jing Luan as Tao Hua
Yang Lin as Yu Ba
Liu Guan Lin as Jing Ji
Zhang Chi as Huang Li Zhou
Su Mao as Lu Gao Xuan
Lu Shi Gang as Guan An Ji
Zhao Gang as Xia Guo Xiang
Hou Yue Qiu as Zhang Dan Yue
Zhao Yang as Wang Jin Bao
Ren Bao Cheng as Shi Lang
Chen Hai as Lin Xing Zhu
Zhang Gong as Hu Yi Zhi
Li Jun as Deng Guang
Ma Zi Jun as Hui Cong
Ren Wu as Fang Zheng of Qing Liang Temple
Zha Xi as Wu Zhi Rong
Su Yan as Xiao Gui Zi
Li Yuan as Peng Chun
Gao Fei as Young Mistress of Zhuang Villa
De Long as Gao Li Jin
Zhao Gui Xiang as Gu Yan Wu
Hu Qing Shi as Zha Ji Zuo
Chen Zhou as Lu Liu Liang
Wang Bing as Ba Yan
Dong Zhi Gang as Yu Lin
Liu Zi Yi as Jing Ji
Shen Tian as Xing Hua
Ye Jing as Huangfu Ge
Yuan Ming as Rui Dong
Zhang Kai as Wei Tong Chui
Li Chen as Wei Hu Tou
Jin Wen Ting as Wei Shuang Shuang
Ba Yu as Wu Li Sheng
Han Yue Qiao as Tao Hong Ying
Carrie as Sophia
Henry as Fei Yao Duo Luo

What is this?
This is a semi episodic thoughts, except it will be several episodes rolled into one new paragraph of which the episodes are as indicated in bold. The reason I am not doing a full episodic thoughts is because the idea of writing for each and every episode for the next 50 episodes is simply too difficult for someone as lazy as me. But I want to express my opinion when I still remember it and frankly when I heard what I heard about this series, and the fact that this would be my 3rd version (I have never seen the original celebrated one that made Tony Leung and also Andy Lau really well known), I was skeptical and skepticism makes for a good review or I shall call this critical analysis. Not too critical on my description of the plot since everybody knows the plot, and also the fact that my China mandarin is at best so-so, makes this an almost purely 100% opinion based critical analysis. Your feedback is of course encouraged but please don't bomb this page if I did happen to mention.. *cough* that Huang Xiaoming *cough* is the replica of *cough* Steven Ma Jingtao *cough* not just in looks but *cough**cough* overacting *cough*.

First Impression
Not another remake of Duke of Mount Deer?! I mean every 3 years they will make one but I suppose not as frequent as Legend Of The Condor Heroes. Like how many upteem times must they remake a well made series that has already been done to death? What new thing can this series bring? I read the director is the same one who did the Legend Of Condor Heroes 2004 starring yet again Huang Xiaoming, probably now his favourite protege, so what is guaranteed is an atmospheric mood as well as sweeping camera and plenty of spotlight, water and wind thanks to the fans probably. But this is Qing Dynasty, no hair ever gets out of place so what of the wind? I can't imagine the Emperor walking in dripping rooftops or staying in a wet cave so what to do with the water element? Spotlight? Most action should be during daylight since the Emperor needs to sleep at night and the idea of Wei Xiaobao with 7 women at night.. I don't even want to think about that. What then, what new, what interesting can the director bring with his new version? And Huang Xiaoming as Wei Xiaobao? Can't he be the emperor instead? Will his performance be the exact replica as his performance in Condor Heroes, mad at first and then all serious with a bit of twinkling eye?

My friend, who is the biggest fan of Huang Xiaoming (she can officially open a HXM Video Library) told me there are changes and apparently the director upped the sex element as in having HXM parading half naked most of the time, much to her delight. I am not his fan, nor do I dislike him so him without a shirt on isn't the reason that will spur me on or put me off this series. What I want to see is what this director could bring. I like his Condor Heroes, because of the atmosphere but the story was convulated, confusing and simply I hated the dubbing of the girls with their high pitch voice. I am ready for the high pitch voice in here but what about the plot? Of all the Jin Yong stories, this is the one I am most familiar with. And yet I am not sure how much was deleted or amended or even adapted word for word or scene per scene in the 2 previous adaptation I have seen so frankly I am not in the position to compare book and series.

One thing for sure; I was certain I would like the emperor more than the main character as I have always did in previous versions, even if I disagree with the casting.

By the way if the director is different, please tell me. At least I won't go on thinking it was the same guy who did Condor Heroes.

Versions Seen
Version 1
My first taste of Duke of Mount Deer was the Jordan Chan-Steven Ma version. Relatively lower budget than the other one I have seen and somewhat not that much of pretty 7 wives with a heavily criticised Steven Ma as the emperor, I ended up in restrospect liking this version the most because I feel Jordan Chan did give a pitch perfect version of Wei Xiaobao. I am not sure if that is what he is like in the book, but the way the story goes, his interpretation fits the story. And even in restrospect, whilst Steven Ma's acting is at best so-so, he did look like Kangxi. I also liked the emphasis placed on the characters of Wei Xiaobao and the emperor because to me the emphasis has always been the friendship between these 2. And Jordan Chan isn't exactly handsome, but somehow I understand why the women loved him.

Version 2
My second taste was the disastrous Dicky Cheung version. Prettier wives, bigger production and more cringe worthy scenes showing how much this Wei Xiaobai loves all of his wives (6 wives because 1 died earlier on and in the end 5 wives because the princess died), it starred also Patrick Tam as the emperor, unconvincingly although towards the end I liked his performance. Everything about this version was over the top, especially the emotional scenes. I hated this version although I thought Dicky Cheung did a good interpretation of Wei Xiaobao on the more playful and charming side as opposed to Jordan Chan which I don't know, was charming in a rather ruthless despicable dirty way. But I hated the emperor in here.

And so this HXM version is my 3rd version and frankly other than HXM, everybody is new to me.

Comparisons between Version 1 and Version 2
Having not read the book, and having seen a little of the original version that is the Tony Leung and Andy Lau version, I always assumed that the book's version is the same as the original one. So my assumptions were

1. Wei Xiaobao is a naturally ruthless killing machine who had little conscience but strangely is very loyal and in a strange way rather brave in a cowardly way.

2. He is playful, cunning, with a sweet mouth that can charm the pants off anyone and street smart who is illiterate but not stupid. He uses his charm and knows when to act on something.

3. He is friendly to everyone and views friendship amongst brothers as his top priority and yet he is also a man capable of too much love as evidenced in the form of 7 wives whom he loves to varying degrees.

4.The emperor whilst highly educated and smarter lacks street smart but does not lack ruthlessness and is as cunning.

5. The emperor is lonely and has no real friends and often under a highly pressurized situation. Wei Xiaobao is his true friend and he often lets him gets his way.

6. We never see the emperor's wives. In fact hardly any woman at all except for the empress dowager.

7. Wei Xiaobao feels extreme loyalty to the emperor because he felt as a prostitute's son, he didn't have that pedigree and probably was looked down by others. But because the emperor, having the highest status of them all looked on to him as a friend and comrade, he felt a sense of duty and loyalty to this friend that he appreciates above all else. So he feels terrible at the idea of betraying his friend and he tries his best to avoid that by playing both sides of the coin (with Red Flower Association whom he feels loyalty as well because they trusted him). He feels no duty towards the Han people (I assume he is a Han) and he feels no duty towards the Qings. What he feels is a duty towards brothers.

8. He loves the emperor more than any of his wives.

9. He loves the sister of the emperor the least and Ah Ke the most.

10. Wei Xiaobao does not know Kung Fu, he will never be the best fighter and he doesn't suddenly acquire amazing kung fu skills as in version 2. He simply gets by with his cunning mind and his ruthlessness. He kills not by skills but by opportunity and he seizes that opportunity not like a hero but like a person who wishes to survive. That makes him a scum in some sense but since he is on the good side (both the emperor and the Red Flower Association have their good points), he is therefore the good guy. No 7 women would all fall for a bastard. I think. And he is supposed to be not good looking. Scroundrel-ish. Not sure whether he is supposed to look ugly though. So HXM may be a bit of a miscast.

AND

11. The story starts when the two men are young men, close in age. No background story and no childhood scenes.

And So...
The journey begins. Strap on the seat belt, get ready with your pop corn and glasses, switch on the telly and I hope you will enjoy this ride with me. Again, please use Post A Comment to comment and please do indicate the episode you're talking about for clarity sake. By the way any mistake in plot, remains my own due to poor understanding of China mandarin and I would appreciate a gentle correction to my mistake.

Some Abbrevations
Wei Xiaobao is WXB. Huang Xiaoming is HXM. Wife 1 is wife 1, so on and so forth. That actor who played ... is the actor as listed in Cast-Character. Unknown is hopefully someone you know so that you tell me. OTT is over the top. PKM is Please kill me. WTH is What the heck.

Read These First
If you do not know the basic story, do read my review of Version 2. I have yet to repost my review of Version 1.


No comments: